Saturday, April 14, 2012

the flipside of stunt casting

I got sick with the flu last weekend. Not only did I have to spend my entire Easter recess in bed, but even worse, I had to give up free tickets I had to see Sister Act, currently starring Raven-Symoné  (little Olivia from The Cosby Show!).

I'll admit, Sister Act has been running for a while and I haven't made much of an effort to see it. Now that they put a big name in the show, I'm a little bit more interested. Some people scoff and pity shows that feature celebrities, but here's the fact: it's called stunt casting and it works.

Stunt Cast: to place a well-known celebrity into a [sometimes struggling] Broadway production. According to this article I found on Gawker, "the stunt casting cheapens the medium, reducing it to just an excuse to see your favorite star live and saying things." The sad truth is that there's a lot of amazing theatre out there, but unless you're going to see the show and a big famous star like George Clooney in the lead, chances are people aren't willing to pay much money or attention.

I've noticed this a lot recently, for example in How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying. It's a fun show, with catchy music and amazing choreography, but I'd be willing to bet at least 3 out of every 5 audience members are more excited about watching Harry Potter, Nick Jonas, and that Glee boy on stage.

Of course there are plenty of young male actors who would be great in that role, but producers know that in order to sell tickets, you need to push a big name. That may sound sad, but I've come to realize that some pieces of theatre are wonderful, and just need a chance to get noticed. Maybe that's why supermodel Christie Brinkley just announced she's joining the cast of Chicago.... again.


Harry Potter (Daniel Radcliffe) surprising everyone with his high kicks and stage dives.

OH, and as an ironic final touch to my sad anecdote. Raven-Symoné? Who I was so excited to see in Sister Act? She also caught the flu that weekend. So I wouldn't have gotten to see her anyway. Too bad for all those people who spent $$$ to see her.

No comments:

Post a Comment