Monday, March 26, 2012

theatre... or theater...?


You may have noticed that I like to use the word "theatre". As in "-re". No, I'm not British. I'm not even Canadian! But for some reason, this form of the spelling has sunk into my vernacular and I can't escape it.

Here's a quote I found on Grammarist.com that I like. And since I just discovered how to Print Screen on a Mac, I will include a photo of it here.



Some people are very much against the spelling of "theatre". They think it's pretentious or exotic. I don't think we need to over-think it that much. Just go with the flow. If someone uses "theatre", respond with "theatre". If they say "theater", then the answer is "theater". There ya have it. A lesson in vocabulary AND social etiquette.
The Eleven O'Clock Number: getting the bang for your buck, one theatre post at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment